Epping Industrial – Cape Town
October 2007 - current
City of Cape Town
Summary of Services
- Meter audit of 665 industrial water meters
- Rectification of meter / billing database
- Installation of AMR-compliant meters
- Supply & Install RealSens™ AMR system
- Configure, synchronise and commission AMR system
- Data hosting, Operation & Maintenance
Water resources for the City of Cape Town (CCT) are limited and CCT experiences large unquantified water losses within its distribution infrastructure. As part of the City’s strategy to reduce water losses, Reonet won a contract on open tender to install a pilot project for remote metering at N2 Gateway, Sunset Beach and Epping Industrial.
During the course of installing the remote metering system in the Epping Industrial area a meter audit revealed that approximately 52% of all meters broken, unreadable or non-compliant. The meter audit itself was invaluable in providing CCT with an accurate record of meter serial numbers, locations and descriptions including meter sizes, (between 15mm to 300mm), manufacturer, meter types and models.
Industrial clients in this area now receive accurate water bills, based on actual meter readings and furthermore have the capacity to obtain short interval readings of water use which can assist in analysing their consumption profiles, leakage losses, etc. and through that, drive their own sustainability and water conservation campaigns.
The project delivered the following benefits:
- An improvement of 20% in the monthly actual read rate
- 100% billing rate possible based on actual readings
- Improved billing information (more accurate, reliable, timely, short-interval)
- Improved occupational safety by eliminating the need for meter readers to access unsafe meter chambers
- Greater efficiencies in water use, taking pressure off scarce water resources