N2 Gateway – Cape Town
October 2007 - current
City of Cape Town
Summary of Services
- Meter audit of 792 domestic water meters
- Installation of AMR-compliant meters
- Supply & Install RealSens™ AMR system
- Configure, synchronise and commission AMR system
- Integrate with the CCT SAP billing system
- Leak monitoring and reporting
- Data hosting, Operation & Maintenance
Water resources for the City of Cape Town (CCT) are limited and CCT experiences large unquantified water losses within its distribution infrastructure. As part of the City’s strategy to reduce water losses, Reonet was awarded the pilot project for remote metering at N2 Gateway, Sunset Beach and Epping Industrial.
N2 Gateway is a high density residential complex near Cape Town where water supply was historically supplied by one bulk meter, making it impossible to calculate individual losses. The installation of the complete network took just over 10 days to complete and has been invaluable in identifying water losses through the automated leak reporting and tamper detection functionality.
A water balance revealed that some 43% of water entering the complex was going to waste and that this is attributable to only a small number of consumers using an average 35 times more water than other residents in the complex.
The project delivered the following benefits:
- 100% monthly reading rate
- 40% saving in consumption after leak reporting and repair project
- Improvement in consumer awareness
- Daily water balance