National Department of Public Works – Pretoria Region Correctional Services Zonderwater
2003 - 2010
Shared Savings Risk-Reward
National Department of Public Works – Property Services – Pretoria Region
Summary of Services
- Project Management
- Site Water Consumption Benchmarking
- Flow Logging
- Revenue management
Located in Cullinan north of Pretoria, Zonderwater Correctional Services is a large facility incorporating a Rehabilitation Centre, College, Youth Detention and Medium A and B correctional facilities as well as a large staff accommodation and agricultural component.
At the time of appointment, Zonderwater was receiving intermittent water supply due to regional water shortages effecting water supply. Water shortages were exacerbated by losses and wastage occurring on site. Reonet’s priority was to gain control of this sprawling water reticulation network and minimise water wastage to ensure sustainable water supply to the site.
To do this, Reonet performed the following key interventions:
- Detailed water reticulation mapping incorporating the results of valve and meter audits
- Development of optimum and discrete pressure zones
- Installation of check meters and zonal meters to determine real losses per zone
- Development of Baselines and Benchmarks
- Identification of ground water alternatives
- Identification and ring fencing of non-NDPW users supplied with water via the Zonderwater reticulation
- Since effective management has been put in place, Reonet has recovered in excess of R 8 million for the NDPW.
- Approximately 27% saving on water costs has been achieved through engineering interventions
- Effective control of the water distribution system ensures that leaks, pipe burst and other incidents are more efficiently controlled.