National Department of Public Works – SANDF Elandsfontein
April 2004 - current
Shared Savings Risk-Reward
National Department of Public Works – Property Services – Pretoria Region
Summary of Services
- Automated Remote Meter Reading & Monitoring
- Project Management
- Operation & Maintenance
SANDF Elandsfontein is a military training facility incorporating a medium sized campus facility, hostels and other military infrastructure and also accommodates the Gerotek driver training facility.
Water is supplied to the site by a single bulk supply point from Rand Water.
Owing to the geographic location of the site, large pressure fluctuations occur on site which generally can lead to accelerated wear and tear on infrastructure and results in frequent pipe bursts and leaks. Illegal connections to the water supply network and vandalism of metering, monitoring and pressure management devices result in further challenges in minimising water losses.
Nevertheless, Reonet have implemented the following key interventions on site, to gain effective control of the water supply infrastructure;
- Identifying and ring-fencing non-NDPW users
- Ongoing billing, collection and management of these outside users
- Determining Usage Baselines and Benchmarks
- Development of optimum and discrete pressure zones and the installation of zonal meters for auditing and determining real losses per zone
- Valve and Meter Audits and a comprehensive layout of the water reticulation network
- Minimum nigh flow analysis and pressure control
The project delivered the following benefits:
- Approximate water cost saving of 35%
- No capital investment required from the client
- Ongoing management and early detection and repair of leaks and losses